1998 TSMT Conference Program
Sam Houston State University
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 27
- 8:15 - 9:00 a.m. TSMT Registration in the Lobby of the
- 9:00 - 10:15 a.m. Paper Session I (Music Building, Room 201) --
Debussy and Influence
- Mark McFarland: "Debussy and Stravinsky: A Reciprocal Influence?"
- Horace J. Maxile, Jr.: "William Grant Still's 'Impression' of Debussy"
- 10:30 - 11:40 a.m. Paper Session II (Music Building, Room 201) --
Structure and Schoenberg
- Thomas M. Couvillon, Jr. "An Analysis of Harmonic and Formal Structures in Schoenberg's De Profundis, Op. 50b"
- Robert Peck: "Organicism Expressed through Interval Cycles in Schoenberg's Op. 19/6"
- 12:00 p.m. TSMT Luncheon, University Hotel Concourse
- 2:00 p.m. Keynote Address on Analysis, Performance and Schubert
Janet Schmalfeldt (Tufts University)
- 3:15 - 5:00 p.m. Paper Session III (Music Building, Room 201) --
Analytical Re-evaluations, Romanticism, and Neo-Classicism
- Benjamin Broening: "Beyond the Work-Concept: Bakhtin, Brahms, adn Wagner"
- Kevin Clifton: "Tonal Axes in Poulenc's Concerto for Two Pianos, I"
- Edward Pearsall: "Re-remembering Music: On Imagination in Music Analysis"
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 28